HSEE- Humanities and Social Science Entrance Exam 2018 by IIT Madras, Last date: January 24
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras invites applications for HSEE 2018. The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) of the Institute. The first part of the test is computer based and second part is a paper and pencil test, will be conducted on April 15, 2018 in various cities across India. The HSEE started in the year 2006 coinciding with the launch of the M.A. programme at IIT Madras. This is the only test of its kind, which admits students to a five year integrated masters programme in humanities and social sciences subjects offered by an IIT.
a) Integrated M.A. in Development Studies [23 Seats]
b) Integrated M.A. in English Studies [23 Seats]
Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students' preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline
Online Application Process (HSEE website) - Starts:
14th December 2017
Payment of Examination Fee through Indian Bank Challan / Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card - Starts
December 14, 2017
Last Date for Submission of Online Application
24th January 2018
Application Status Check on the Website
February 16, 2018
Admit Card can be downloaded from the HSEE Website by the candidates- Starts
March 14, 2018
Admit Card can be downloaded from the HSEE Website by the candidates - Ends
April 14, 2018
Examination Date for HSEE-2018
15th April 2018
Declaration of Result on HSEE Website
15th May 2018
Offer Letters to Candidates
16th May 2018
Candidates applying for HSEE-2018 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examination for the first time in 2017 or should be appearing in 2018.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or
University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
Percentage of Marks:
Candidates belonging to the general category and OBC category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Where only letter grades are mentioned in the grade sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent marks, and submit it at the time of joining. In case the candidate does not provide such a certificate, the decision of the HSEE admission committee regarding his/her eligibility shall be final.
Date of Birth:
Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1993 are eligible for HSEE-
2018. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01,
1988 are eligible. The date of birth as recorded in the High School (10th std./12th Std.) first Board/ Pre-University Certificate will be taken as authentic. Candidates must produce a scanned copy of this certificate along with the completed Application Form as proof of their age and at the time of admission original certificate has to be produced failing which they will be disqualified.
Every qualified candidate will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission. Candidates will be admitted only if they are physically fit for pursuing a course of study at the Institute.
- Admission to the programme will stand cancelled, if the proof of having passed the qualifying examination, as per the eligibility criteria specified in Section 13.2, is not submitted to the Institute latest by September 28, 2018.
- Admissions are subject to verification of facts from the original certificates/documents of the candidates. If an applicant is found ineligible at a later date even after admission, his/her admission will be cancelled. The decision of the HSEE-2018 admission committee regarding the eligibility of any applicant shall be final.
- A candidate must satisfy all the aforesaid eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for appearing in HSEE-2018 and admission.
Reservation of Seats
Indian nationals belonging to certain categories are admitted under the seats reserved for them in accordance with the rules of the Govt. of India. The categories and the extent of reservation are as follows:
OBC belonging to Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) - 27% seats
SC - 15% Seats
ST - 15% Seats
PwD - 03% Seats
Type of Question Paper: HSEE-2018 exam is of three hours duration and has two parts. Part I consists of objective type multiple-choice questions for 2½ hours duration (150 minutes), administered through computer. Part II involves essay writing for 30 minutes to be written on answer sheet distributed to the candidates at the end of Part I
Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of India Economics and (iv) Environment and Ecology)
Part II requires the candidates to write an essay on general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion
Language of Questions Paper: English
Merit List/ Rank List
Merit List/ Rank List
- Rank list will be prepared based on the aggregate marks obtained in HSEE-2018.
A common rank list made up of candidates who score at least 50% in HSEE-2018 will be prepared. Separate rank lists will be prepared corresponding to OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories.
- Candidates belonging to OBC-NCL category must score at least 45% in HSEE-2018 in order to be in the OBC-NCL rank list. Candidates belonging to SC and ST categories must score at least 25% in HSEE-2018 in order to be in their respective rank lists.
- A Common Rank List (CRL) will be prepared for PwD candidates. To be in the PwD rank list, candidates must score at least 25% in HSEE-2018 in aggregate. Separate PwD rank lists will be prepared corresponding to OBC-NCL, SC and ST categories. Seats will be allotted using the rank lists and the number of seats available in each category. If a candidate (who has been allotted a seat) declines to take admission due to some reason or does not respond to the allotment, a seat becomes vacant. Such vacant seats will be allotted to the next candidate in the respective rank lists. While allotting a seat, if a candidate belongs to more than one category of relaxed norms, he/she shall be considered only in the category in which he/she gets the maximum benefit. If sufficient OBC-NCL candidates are not available, the seats will be de-reserved and open for allotment to general candidates.
- A candidate scoring higher aggregate marks will receive a better rank. If ties occur in the aggregate marks, the candidate who scores more marks in Part II (Essay writing) will be given a higher rank. If ties occur in both Part II and aggregate marks, one who scores more marks in the “General studies” section of Part I will be given a higher rank. If ties occur in all of aggregate, Essay writing, and General studies marks, one who scores more marks in the “Analytical Abilities” section of Part I will receive a higher rank. If ties occur after all these tiebreaking criteria, candidate will be given the same rank.
Cities for HSEE:
The entrance exam will be conducted in the following 12 cities: Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Thiruvananthapuram and Varanasi
Application for HSEE-2018 is only through online mode. The procedure is given below.
Candidate needs access to a computer with Internet connection and a printer.
I. Registration: Log on to the site http:/ /hsee.iitm.ac. in and select from the menu
“Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt to save the data on the system when necessary.
II. Upload scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures and (c) Supporting Documents:
Photograph: The scanned image of photograph should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the photo image must be greater than 15 kb and less than 40 kb and the dimension of the photo image should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5cm (height) only.
Signatures: The scanned images of signature should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the signature image must be greater than 10 kb and less than 30 kb and the dimension of signature image should be 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 (height) only.
Supporting Documents: Scanned images of 10th Certificate/10+2 certificate (if available)/Date of Birth Certificate/OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable) should be in jpg/jpeg format only. After successfully entering the data, click the 'finalize' button. After this, the details cannot be edited.
III. Examination Fee: Candidates must pay the examination fee -as applicable is – through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card/Indian Bank challan that will be generated during the process of application. The examination fee for female candidates and SC, ST,
PwD candidates is Rs. 1200/- and for all other candidates it is Rs. 2400/-. Additionally, the service charges of the Bank will be Rs.40/-.
IV. Payment by Indian Bank e-challan: A bank challan of Indian Bank will be generated during the online process of application. The candidate has to go to any branch of the Indian Bank along with a printed challan and pay the fee. The candidate must verify that the application numbers on both the copies of the challans are the same as that in the application. Check the challan details at the specified places in the application: Challan No.; Branch Code; Transaction No./Journal No.; Date of Payment. Ensure that the seal of the bank branch and the signature of the banker are affixed on the challan in the space provided.
V. Payment by Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card: The candidate has to select the option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment. After successful payment, candidate will be able to print the acknowledgement page.
VI. Last Date: Completed application form has to be submitted online only, along with the scanned photograph, signature, copies of relevant certificates and payment details of examination fee through either offline mode (system generated Indian Bank challan) or online modes (net banking/credit cards/debit cards) on or before January 24, 2018.
For all completely submitted application including fee, the receipt of application online will be reflected on the HSEE website. Candidates can check the HSEE website for the status of their applications after February 16, 2018.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING UP THE HSEE-2018 APPLICATION FORM
Read the instructions carefully before filling the application form. Application form must be complete in all respects. Incomplete application or application with incorrect information is liable for rejection.
- Name of the Candidate: Enter the name in capital letters as given in the High School (10th standard) certificate. Leave one and only one blank box between consecutive words of the name. If the name has several initials, leave one blank after each of them. Do not put a “dot” after the initials.
- Category: Choose category GE, SC, ST or OBC-NCL from the drop down menu. Category once declared cannot be changed at a later date. If a candidate fails to produce the necessary certificate, he/she will be considered as a general category (GE) candidate.
- Persons with Disabilities (PwD): If you are a person with disabilities, i.e., you have SEVERE dyslexia or at least 40% impairment irrespective of the type of disability i.e., locomotor, visual (leprosy-cured candidates are also included in this subcategory), choose YES from the drop down menu. Otherwise choose NO.
- Gender: Choose from the drop down menu as appropriate.
- Nationality: Choose from the drop down menu as appropriate.
- Date of Birth: Select the date, month and year of the birth as per the English Calendar and as recorded in the High School (10th standard) certificate.
- Complete Postal Address: Enter the complete postal address to which communication is to be sent. The address must include C/O name, if required, and other details including the PIN CODE.
- E-mail address: Indicate the e-mail address.
- Mobile/Phone Number: Enter 10-digit valid mobile phone number and/or the landline number with STD code. Mobile number will help us to “SMS” important messages to the candidates or help the candidates to know their applicat ion status.
- Choice of City of Examination: Select the name of the city from the following: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Thiruvananthapuram, and Varanasi. Though candidates enter names of two different cities, every attempt will be made to allot the centre of their first choice. In extreme cases, candidates may be allotted the centre/city of their second choice.
- Photograph: A recent good quality color photograph (taken not more than two months earlier) with light or white background must be uploaded. It is expected that the candidate will have the same appearance at the time of examination as in the photograph. In case the appearance has changed at the time of examination, the candidates must submit two new photographs at the time of examination.
- Signature: The good quality image of candidate’s signature must be uploaded.
- Name of Parent/Guardian: Candidates have to enter the name of their father/mother or guardian exactly as in their 10th class or equivalent certificate. Candidates have to write the name of their parent if no name is given in the 10th class certificate.
For further details please log into: http://hsee.iitm.ac.in